Thursday, April 12, 2012

Etsy Find: For Such A Time Designs

As the daughter of an avid antique hunter and collector, I grew up surrounded by other people's things. I remember going to estate sales and thrift stores as a child, and running my fingers over the lace fabric of a gown, wondering who had worn it. Did they have it on when they had their first kiss, or when they had their heart broken for the first time? I loved imagining up stories for the former owners. I was also drawn to the old serving dishes and tarnished silver, wondering how many Thanksgiving meals they had been used for.

It is for this reason that I love Aly Nickerson's repurposed flatware. She peruses flea markets and sales and finds gorgeous old forks, spoons, knives and the like, then hand-stamps them. Her designs run the gamut from whimsical ("Make A Wish") to funny ("Coffee Is My Drug") to sweet ("You Are Loved").

She also does custom projects, so I am thinking of ordering a flatware set for Maddux with his initials. 

So sweet and simple.




5 comments:

Stacey @ OneSeventeenSouth.com said...

Funny you posted this because I am about to start using that technique to make garden markers (and other things). I'll have some in my shop and others I'm going to try and sell at a local Growers Market.

Lucy and Lloyd said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to see them!

antique knives said...

Oh this is absolutely brilliant. I have never seen anything like this nor would I have thought of it. Are they safe to use? I am wondering if stamping them somehow releases anything "inside" the silverware? I am guessing not but just curious.
This would be an absolute delight for quaint little tea shops or a bed and breakfast, they could sell them too in addition to using them for guests (perhaps selling to prevent theft?). Anyhow brilliant, if I had the equipment, I would do this myself, great blog, enjoyed.

Aly Nickerson said...

Hi there!!

Saw I was getting some views from your blog and decided to stop by and say hello and a BIG THANKS for the feature!! Love it when people randomly feature me... .such a blessing!!

Hope to see you in the shop someday soon!

Best,

Aly

Lucy and Lloyd said...

You're so welcome, Aly! Love your shop!