Thursday, August 1, 2013

200,000



After a week in the shop and a vacation's worth of money spent on repairs, I finally have my beloved 4 Runner back. And to celebrate that joyous homecoming, I watched as the odometer flipped to 200,000 miles.

A few years ago, Michael and I were looking to upgrade my old blue 4 Runner. After he died, I bought this one for myself, so I suppose it holds some sentimental value to me. It has taken me to the shores of California, through the crowded streets of New York City, down to the beaches of Florida, home to the ones I love in North Carolina, up near Chicago to meet Nate's family for the first time, and many, many places in between.

It has carried microphones, guitars and musicians to gigs all around the country and it has transported clothing racks and store fixtures for my first boutique. Through my rearview mirror, I've watched Maddux grow from a wrinkly newborn into a rambunctious toddler.

My mechanic says it's got a few more good years. I hope he's right.

No comments: