Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bruschetta

Bruschetta is one of my favorite foods to make. Super easy, delicious and healthy, you really can't go wrong. Nate and I like to eat it alone for a light, simple meal or pair it with angel hair pasta and red wine for a more substantial one. It is also a great appetizer for a dinner party.

Here is my recipe. It's really simple and not super measured, but I've included some general measurements for reference.

I start with eight Roma tomatoes. For two people, this is a lot, but I feed Maddux the leftovers. He loves it! Also, I like to use organic tomatoes.

 I cut off each end of the tomatoes, then cut slices. I clean out the pulp in the middle, then dice the tomato into small pieces and throw into a bowl.

 Pour in about 3/4 Cup Olive Oil and about 3/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar and stir well.

 Add about one tablespoon garlic. You can use pre-minced garlic or do it yourself with fresh garlic. I love my garlic press from Williams-Sonoma.
Next, I add salt and garlic to taste. Probably about a teaspoon of each. Or more, if you'd like.
And don't forget the basil! Mix well.

 Fresh baked or store bought, it doesn't matter. I use a loaf of French bread and slice about an inch wide.


I like my Bruschetta a little chewy and melty in the middle and crisp and crunchy on the outside. To achieve this, I spoon a bit of the liquid mixture of olive oil and vinegar from the bottom of the bowl onto the middle of each slice of bread. Then I place a heaping spoonful of the tomato mixture on top.
The oven has already been preheated to 400 degrees. I bake for about 10 minutes or so, until the bruschetta has reached the desired crispiness.


I top mine with a Parmesan, Asiago, Romano cheese mix. See, super easy! Enjoy!




No comments: